You want to be a model but aren’t really sure where to start or maybe you have some experience and want to take it to the next level. Either way, there are always dos and don’ts when it comes to success and I want to put you on the right path if I can.
Let’s get started!
1. Posing is where we’ll begin, most will tell you start with a solid portfolio but that is just a waste of time if you have no camera rhythm. Practice, practice and practice some more until you are dreaming about your walk, facial expressions and delivery. Oh yeah, a mirror is your new best friend.
2. Now we can get into the fun stuff! Portfolios take time, not a weekend and remember quality over quanity. Do thorough research on who your working with so you don’t waste time. Always ask the photographer “What is your turnaround time?” and do you have a “credible website that is up to date”. Also, a good make-up artist/hair stylist can make a great asset to your team.
3. Free is not always good, I know it sounds great but what your really doing is setting yourself back. WIX.com can provide a free site but professionals do not take them serious because they function horribly! Invest in yourself so others will too with a professional site dedicated to your craft. Side note: You do not own your Facebook Page and it doesn’t count as a personal website so if you intend on taking your career to the next level…invest in a domain.
4. Social Media & Being Social are not the same things. It’s crucial you maintain a healthy, interactive online lifestyle but nothing beats the real thing. Most of your opportunities will come from shaking hands, being at the right place at the right time or even a tagged photo opp from an event.
5. Financially be prepared to rack up some bills. There’s not a lot of money in the modeling industry, those times have come and gone never to return. Outfits for your shoots, make-up, hair, travel expenses, photography, event costs and more can add up pretty quick so make a budget and negotiate whenever possible…you never know unless you ask.
We are off to a great start with more to come! Please let me know if this was helpful to you?