I want to give models all the helpful advice that I wish I had when first starting out. This will be a quick “To-Do” piece that focuses on key points that I see people missing every day. Let’s start with a couple of things that every model should know and keep in the back of their mind. It doesn’t matter if you’re signed or not, you must self-promote.
- If you’re being featured for a web-based article it’s considered good etiquette to leave some sort of message acknowledging, regards for the exposure or support of your career.
- Commenting on Facebook does not count, sorry! If any site, blog or magazine takes the time and resources to give you exposure, then the least you can do is stop by and let them know you care.
- Make sure you share it on all available social media platforms but most importantly, Twitter, Google+ and Facebook with Pinterest or Linkedin as great alternatives.
- Always keep track of your work and exposure with direct links. Most models believe that having pictures is all you need in this industry, well I got news for you…a resume is worth so much more! Names count more than a portfolio ever will.
- Be sure to interact with your supporters as much as possible, they will appreciate it more than you realize.
- Never send the first thing you type. Whether it’s a Q&A or a bio piece, let a friend look it over first before sending. Why? Because as models we get so few chances to express ourselves off the runway or from in front of the camera so make it count!
Hope these suggestions work for you and good luck in your journey.